Tuesday, July 12, 2011

3rd New Farmers Gathering, June 11-12

It's amazing how busy one can get on the farm in the summer time... it's taken me a month to find the time to post a report from what was an amazing event back in June: The 3rd New Farmers Gathering at The Lorax near Wolfville.

Nearly 100 farmers, aspiring farmers and folks who otherwise have a passion in working with the land turned out for the two days of workshops, bonfires and sharing experiences. I was lucky to catch a couple great workshops on seed growing (with Andrea Berry) and roundwood timber framing (with Mark Alvis) among lots of others.
















- Farmers deep in discussion...
















- Andrea Berry (right) of Hope Seeds put on a great seed saving workshop, here we are putting the theory into practice by planting a seed saving garden.
















- Another of the highlights was planting a three sisters garden, with corn, beans and squash growing together. We were transplanting the corn seedlings into the hills so that they had a head start on the beans.























- I gave a scything workshop on Sunday afternoon, which proved to be quite a popular event. After some instructions and demonstrations probably 20 people got a chance to try their hand at mowing with a scythe. Here I am demonstrating honing with a whetstone.


















- Some of the first swaths...


















-After the students got into it we made short work of our hay meadow, we cleared probably a 1/4 acre in the course of the short workshop. Many hands (and scythes) make light work.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great gathering. If there is a 4th next year I would love to attend. I'm doing a three sisters permaculture garden this summer and all was going well until a couple of days ago when the coons torn down most of the corn . Like you I started corn seedlings and it was these mature plants that the coons attacked. I also planted corn from seed in each mound and that corn is still there, I suspect the bandits will return though. There is video of my Three Sisters on my blog. http://dalecaldersblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete